(1875-1959)
1898 graduate of Randolph-Macon Women's College, musician and concert manager.
(1852-1917)
"Resident Ghost"
(1842-1910)
Major, CSA
Attorney, orator, author, member of the Virginia House of Delegates, State and US Senator. Staff officer to Jubal Early in the Civil War. Known as "The Lame Lion of Lynchburg." HD-20 & 38
(1795-1856)
(1883-1968)
Sampson Diuguid founded the nation's second oldest and Virginia's oldest funeral service. Diuguid Funeral Home in 1820. Known for the invention of the funeral hearse in 1881 by adding wheels to a catafalque. Son George continued to run the family business and was the undertaker for the first burial in Spring Hill Cemetery October 8, 1855. Mary was an accomplished artist and last Diuguid to own the funeral home. Several of her paintings are displayed in the cemetery office. South Circle 6
(1786-1873)
One of the founders of Spring Hill Cemetery and first president of its Board of Directors. Founder and Minister of Court Street Methodist Church. E-1
(1845-1923)
Owner of S. O. Fisher at 1030 Main Street, founded by his father, Levi Fisher, in 1828, the second oldest sporting goods store in the US until it closed in 1971. W-61
(1858-1946)
Virginia State Senator 1899–1903, US Congress 1902–1920. Co-sponsored Glass-Owen act (created Federal Reserve Banking System). Co-sponsored Glass-Steagall act of 1933 (separated investment from commercial banking & established the FDIC. XY-E
(1852-1931)
One of the first 20 teachers in the Lynchburg Public School System and Superintendant of Lynchburg Public Schools 1879– 1931. E.C. Glass High School named in his honor in 1920. XD-207
(1880-1967)
Worked with the YWCA in post-war France, and received the Medaille de Ia Reconnaissance Francoise by the French government. Third president of Sweet Briar College. U-64
(1897-1976)
Founded the Virginia Outdoor Advertising Co. in 1928. Among the first women in the US to establish a successful advertising business. 107-66
(1824-1903)
(1830-1920)
Co-owner of Jones, Watts Brothers & Company, (later Barker-Jennings). His dream was to establish a library for the area. His wife, Mary Frances Watts Jones, later established the library as a memorial to her husband. South Circle 1
(1864-1953)
She was a prominent Lynchburg artist. She taught art at Randolph Macon Women's College (now Randolph College). She was a charter member of the Lynchburg Art Club. RN-14
(1792-1869)
Legendary philanthropist. Donated 18 acres for Miller Park, the first public park in Lynchburg. Donated land and established endowment fund to create what is now called the Miller Home. EE-1
(1869-1951)
Prominent Lynchburg artist known for portraits of Lynchburg's society. Charter member of Lynchburg Art Club. President of the Lynchburg Civic Art League. AB-69
(1876-1955)
Physician, author, educator. Decorated by several European governments for her relief work in World War 1 field hospitals. The "Statue of Ladies" in Spring Hill Cemetery was presented to the city by Dr. Slaughter, as a tribute to those who founded and developed life in Lynchburg. J 105
(1825-1873)
Colonel in the Confederate army and President of the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad. F-14
(183l-1911)
"The Indian Princess" who lived at Point of Honor during the Civil War. Artist and the daughter of Thomas Chisholm, the last hereditary Chief of the Western Cherokees. Wife of Robert Latham Owen, Sr. F-14
(1856-1947)
Federal agent for the Five Civilized Indian Tribes from 1885 to 1889. Three-term senator from Oklahoma 1907–1925. Co-sponsor of the Glass-Owen act that created the Federal Reserve Banking System. F-14
(1785-1845)
Owner of Percival's Island. Before John Lynch established his ferry, Percival's Island was the crossover point in the James River. J-15
(1875-1943)
Director of Public Health in Lynchburg. Instituted law requiring TB testing for all milk delivered to the city and emergency room treatment for all patients, regardless of their ability to pay. v-153
(1927-1984)
Known as the "King of Flat Picking Guitarists" and a renowned banjo picker copied by many artists today. In the International Bluegrass Music Hall of Honor 110-53
(1792-1855)
On October 18, 1855, he was the first burial in Spring Hill Cemetery. M-57
(1829-1922)
His innovations lowered the death rate of Civil War soldiers in the Pest House (Lynchburg's first hospital) from 50% to 5%. He was also known for his work with the equine disease glanders. v-150
(1904-1994)
Performed first frontal lobotomy in the US in 1936. Chief Neurosurgeon of George Washington University 1935–1969. 104-201
(1838-1904)
Came to Lynchburg after the Civil War to teach former slaves in the Freedman's Bureau's Camp Davis School. Served as supervising principal of Lynchburg's African American Schools for over 25 years. A-50